Desert Mountain is a 5-Star Platinum Club of America, and one of the largest private country clubs in North America. Located in the elevated foothills of North Scottsdale, Arizona, Desert Mountain spans more than 8,000 acres of lush high Sonoran Desert. The Desert Mountain Club has six Jack Nicklaus Signature golf courses, six distinctive clubhouses, nine kitchens, hiking/biking trails, horseback riding, and a spectacular tennis, swim, fitness and spa facility. We believe our employees are among our greatest assets. If you would like to be part of an exciting, challenging and rewarding experience, then Desert Mountain is the place for you!
JOB DESCRIPTION: Sous Chef
DIRECT REPORTS: Kitchen employees in the absence of the Chef de Cuisine
INDIRECT REPORTS: None
TYPICAL WORK HOURS: 50 hours per week that includes all meal periods and weekends and holidays
REPORTS TO: Chef de Cuisine
JOB PURPOSE: The Sous Chef is to assure a high quality product at all times. The Sous Chef also handles the physical aspect of the kitchen operation and assists the Executive Chef and Chef de Cuisine as directed. The Sous Chef will establish a proper example of professionalism to kitchen personnel and oversee the preparation of food at Desert Mountain.
SAFETY SENSITIVE: Prepares Food
NP = Not present – activity does not exist
O = Occasionally – activity exists up to 1/3 of the time
F = Frequently – activity exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time
C = Constantly – activity exists 2/3 or more of the time
Standing: C Pushing: O
Walking: C Pulling: O
Sitting: O Stooping: C
Lifting: F Kneeling: F
Carrying: F Reaching: F
- Creates and ensures the timely execution of daily specials, special events and member requests.
- Maintains facilities in sanitary condition per Maricopa County Health Department Standards through the use of written cleaning schedules, training and inspection.
- Daily coordination and supervision of kitchen personnel.
- Ensures quality through inspection, training, and use of written recipes to ensure consistency.
- Assists Chef de Cuisine with inventory, invoice tracking, labor tracking and all cost controls.
- Assists Chef de Cuisine with staff scheduling to meet labor budget requirements.
- Assists Chef de Cuisine with ordering of food and equipment.
- Assists Chef de Cuisine with staff training.
- Assists Chef de Cuisine with writing menus.
- Inspects incoming foods to check for quality, correct quantity and cost.
- Opening or closing duties daily as described by written opening and closing checklists.
- Ensures nutritious and appealing employee meals are provided promptly at the required time.
- Monitors production, using prep lists, to ensure appropriate quantities of product, based on business levels.
- Ensures dishwashers and prep staff are on time and prepared to do their jobs.
- Communicates and discusses daily operations and new ideas with Chef de Cuisine.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS OR EQUIVALENT:
High School Diploma or equivalent with 2 years culinary training in accredited culinary arts program
Culinary degree from approved school or completion of an approved apprentice program or equivalent work experience required. Arizona Food Handler's card required. Sous Chef should possess knowledge of the culinary profession and problems relevant to the management of the kitchen.
PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
A minimum of 5 years experience in varied kitchen positions including food preparation, line cook, fry cook and expediter. At least 1 year experience in a similar capacity. Extensive food production experience plus management and administrative skills.
WORKING KNOWLEDGE TO BE ACQUIRED ON THE JOB:
Policies and procedures of Desert Mountain. Standard Operating Procedures, administrative and managerial responsibilities.
UNUSUAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
Be able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 40 pounds. Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time. Work involves sharp knives and hot products.
- Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage (Full Time)
- FREE Employee Meals during shifts
- FREE On-site Wellness Clinic
- Paid Time Off (Full Time)
- Paid Sick Time
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- 401(K) Retirement Savings (Full Time, after 6 months of employment and 100% vested immediately)
- Tuition Reimbursement (Full Time)
- Pet Insurance
- Employee Discounts at Desert Mountain Retail Stores
- Free Golf and Tennis
- Transportation Programs
- Employee Recognition Programs
- Employee Uniforms Provided
- Fun and upscale work environment
Come to Desert Mountain Club and start loving where you work!
Desert Mountain Club Inc.
Desert Mountain is a 5-Star Platinum Club of America, ranked as a top 20 private Club in the United States. DMC is one of the largest private clubs in North America. Located in the elevated foothills of North Scottsdale, Arizona, Desert Mountain spans more than 8,000 acres of lush high Sonoran Desert. Desert Mountain Club has seven golf courses, seven distinctive clubhouses, ten restaurants and grills, hiking/biking trails, horseback riding, and spectacular tennis, swim, fitness spa and so much more.
We believe our employees are among our greatest assets. If you would like to be part of an exciting, challenging and rewarding experience, then Desert Mountain is the place for you!
Company Website: desertmountain.com
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)