JOB DESCRIPTION: Jr. Sous Chef
DIRECT REPORTS: None
INDIRECT REPORTS: Supervise 6-10 kitchen employees
TYPICAL WORK HOURS: 40 hours per week, including all meal periods, weekends and holidays
REPORTS TO: Chef de Cuisine
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
Supervises and coordinates activities of cooks and other kitchen workers engaged in preparing and cooking food by performing the following duties: Follow direction of the Executive Chef, Chef de Cuisine and/or Sous Chef in maintaining the highest standards of food quality, taste and production.
SAFETY SENSITIVE: Prepares Food
NP = Not present – activity does not exist
O = Occasionally – activity exists up to 1/3 of the time
F = Frequently – activity exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time
C = Constantly – activity exists 2/3 or more of the time
- Implements and creates new menu items and/or daily specials with direction from Chef de Cuisine or Sous Chef.
- Aides Chef de Cuisine and Sous Chef with physical inventories at month end.
- Tracks invoices and labor to maintain cost controls.
- Assists Chef de Cuisine or Sous Chef with scheduling kitchen staff and ensures staff follows schedule accordingly.
- Creates and implements use of prep lists to keep production on schedule.
- Creates, maintains and enforces use of standardized recipes to ensure consistency of product.
- Maintains kitchen facilities in a neat, clean and organized fashion to meet county health standards.
- Participates in counseling, training and evaluating staff with assistance from Chef de Cuisine or Sous Chef.
- Assists Clubhouse Manager in all aspects of clubhouse operations.
- Assumes 100% responsibility for quality of products served.
- Follows proper plate presentation and garnish set up for all dishes.
- Produces daily-featured items with little oversight from Chef de Cuisine or Sous Chef.
- Responsible for start-up of kitchen – turning on hood vents, ovens, fryers, etc.
- Fills out requisitions for all items needed on the line and submits to receiving clerk.
- Responsible for preparing stations for service.
- Responsible for preparing ordered menu items, checking to ensure quality and presentation.
- Assists Chefs in developing and maintaining healthy, delicious employee meal menus.
- May be asked to prep, clean, cook and prepare employee meals.
- Responsible for proper breakdown and storage of products.
- Assumes responsibility for kitchen in absence of the Chef de Cuisine and Sous Chef.
- Other responsibilities as directed by the Chefs.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS OR EQUIVALENT:
Degree from accredited culinary school of apprenticeship program or equivalent work experience.
Must have a proficient knowledge of sautéing, broiling, poaching, boiling, steaming and braising.
Must be able to prepare basic soups, stocks, and sauces.
Basic understanding of professional cooking and knife skills.
Must have good math skills to accurately adapt ingredient measurements for recipes.
PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
A minimum of 5 years experience in a full service restaurant; minimum of one year demonstrated supervisory experience preferred.
WORKING KNOWLEDGE TO BE ACQUIRED ON THE JOB:
Policies and procedures of Desert Mountain. Standard Operating Procedures, administrative and managerial responsibilities.
UNUSUAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
Must be able to work days/nights, weekends and holidays.
The employee is frequently required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The employee is routinely required to stand for long periods of time.
- Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage (Full Time)
- FREE Employee Meals during shifts
- FREE On-site Wellness Clinic (Full Time)
- Paid Time Off (Full Time)
- Paid Sick Time
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- 401(K) Retirement Savings (Full Time, after 6 months of employment and 100% vested immediately)
- Tuition Reimbursement (Full Time)
- Pet Insurance
- Employee Discounts at Desert Mountain Retail Stores
- Free Golf and Tennis
- Transportation Programs
- Employee Recognition Programs
- Employee Uniforms Provided
- Fun and upscale work environment
Desert Mountain Club Inc.
Desert Mountain is a 5-Star Platinum Club of America, and one of the largest private clubs in North America. Located in the elevated foothills of North Scottsdale, Arizona, Desert Mountain spans more than 8,000 acres of lush high Sonoran Desert. Desert Mountain Club has seven golf courses, seven distinctive clubhouses, ten restaurants and grills, hiking/biking trails, horseback riding, and spectacular tennis, swim, fitness spa and so much more.
We believe our employees are among our greatest assets. If you would like to be part of an exciting, challenging and rewarding experience, then Desert Mountain is the place for you!
Company Website: desertmountain.com
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)